Cabrillo College Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What courses are available?

There are over 50 classes available on-line for achieving college level credits and many more other courses are offered through 'Extension' or adult extended learning courses. What is offered will change each semester.

What pre-requisites are necessary for each course?

It depends on the course and all pre-requisites are found online.

What English language requirements are needed?

Currently international students need to have a TOFL score of 450.

What testing is conducted for placement into courses? Can these assessments be taken from abroad?

Normally no tests are required. However, sometimes placement tests may be required to take certain English or Math classes.

What training is needed to learn how to take online classes?

A little training may be needed to navigate the online learning system called 'Blackboard'. However, it is very easy and user friendly and Online Learning Japan will give you an orientation and assist you to make sure you can easily navigate the system.

Will there be an Orientation to help students prepare for studying online?

Yes, we will provide and orientation to demonstrate how to use the online courses and the Blackboard.

Where is testing conducted?

Testing is usually conducted online. However, if testing is needed locally it will be conducted in Shingu, Wakayama for now and possibly online at specific dates in the future.

Do I need to provide proof or certification of my 450+ point TOEFL score?

At this time it is not necessary to provide proof of your TOEFL score. However, this may change in the future. In any case, you should make sure that your English level is 450+ or greater to avoid placing unnecessary hardship upon yourself.

Where can one take the TOEFL test?

The TOEFL iBT test can be taken online. Click HERE for more information on how to register for the TOEFL iBT Test.

How much does does the TOEFL test cost?

Around $ 200 USD or around 20,000 Yen.

What courses are available?

All courses available can be found by clicking on this link.


Since I am a beginner at English I am not sure if I can handle this or not but would like to try. Does consulting with you about how to raise my level of English mean I am then committed to studying at Cabrillo College?

Not at all. Consultation is free and you are not committed to enter Cabrillo College before you feel ready. If you do not feel ready this coming semester you can work towards beginning your study next year or the year after. You are not limited to just this coming semester.


How about courses for no credit (for example extension courses)?

Extension courses run usually for 6 weeks. The cost is normally around 12,000 Yen (as of August, 2011). Examples of courses available are Internet, Business, Accounting, French Language, Italian Language, etc. To learn more about Cabrillo Extension and other non-credit courses CLICK HERE.